Livable City is Hiring!
Livable City is hiring a Development Director
Livable City is San Francisco’s urban land use and transportation policy and advocacy nonprofit. The organization works to create a San Francisco of great streets and complete neighborhoods, where walking, bicycling, and transit are the best choices for most trips, where public spaces are beautiful, well-designed, and well-maintained, and where housing is more plentiful and more affordable.
Livable City also runs San Francisco’s Sunday Streets and Play Streets programs. These programs bring communities together, promoting healthy living and active transportation to create vibrant, healthy, connected communities across the city.
Livable City has six dedicated full-time staff, augmented by a volunteer board of directors, passionate interns, and hundreds of annual volunteers.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Director will oversee all aspects of development for Livable City, including grants, event sponsorships, membership and major donor programs. This individual will work with the staff and board to create and implement successful development strategies to support the organization’s mission and strategic plan. This is an opportunity for someone who is a proven fundraiser and passionate about making San Francisco a better place to live, work, and play.
The position is a full time position, approximately 40 hours per week Monday-Friday, with some evening and weekend work required. Participation at all Sunday Streets events is strongly encouraged.
• Collaborate with the Executive Director to create and implement a multi-year development plan to support the strategic direction of the organization.
• Develop and manage sponsorship, donation, and membership programs.
• Assess opportunities for new income growth and diversification.
• Collaborate with Executive Director and program staff to develop annual budget.
• With Bookkeeper, maintain monthly cash flow budget and submit financial reports as needed.
• Ensure fundraising goals are being achieved and recommend changes as necessary.
• Prepare annual report of income and expenses for funders, partners, and stakeholders.
• Steward and grow Livable City’s individual donor base, including managing annual giving; mid-year, and end-of-year appeals.
• Grow Livable City’s major donor program.
• Coordinate in-kind and corporate matching donations through individuals.
• Serve as primary, front-line fundraiser for all individual giving.
Grants and Contracts
• Oversee existing government and private contracts, including invoicing, tracking, and reporting
• Work with program staff to identify and pursue grant opportunities that support program goals, and ensure grant requirements are fulfilled.
• Identify new foundation grants and corporate and government contracts.
• Write grant and contract proposals with Executive Director and program staff.
Corporate Gifts and Events
• Work with program staff and interns to cultivate and steward corporate sponsors and fulfill sponsor benefit obligations.
• Oversee planning of the annual Livablity Awards and other fundraising events.
• Serve as primary contact for all corporate giving.
Board of Directors
• Attend monthly board meetings, and board committee meetings as needed.
• Work with current board members to cultivate new board members and promote an ongoing culture of philanthropy.
• Work with board to set annual volunteer and giving expectations.
• Assist board members with house parties and other board-led fundraising.
• Minimum four years of nonprofit fundraising/development experience.
• Experience closing gifts from diverse income sources including: individual and major donors, public and private foundations, corporate sponsorships, and government contracts.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; confident public speaker.
• Experience with strategy, budgeting and forecasting.
• CRM Software experience, preferably with Salesforce.
• Experience working with non-profit organizations; familiarity with land use, sustainable transportation, environmental, and/or the public health policy and advocacy is a plus.
• Demonstrated passion for the mission of the organization.
• Familiarity with the goals and vision of the Sunday Streets and Play Streets programs.
• Confident, self-motivated attitude and a willingness to lead by example.
• Ability to work in fast paced, deadline-oriented environment.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
• Bilingual, preferably in Spanish and/or Chinese.
• Knowledge of Apple computers, WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite, and Mailchimp.
Benefits and Salary
This is a full-time, salaried position. Compensation is negotiable between $60,000 and $72,000, depending on experience. Benefits include generous vacation time, flexible working locations, pre-tax transportation benefits, and full health care coverage. Our office is centrally located and easy to reach on foot, bike, or public transportation.
Send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample (preferably a donor, grant, or sponsorship proposal) to email@example.com with the subject line “2017 Development Director.” Be sure to mention how you heard about the job. This position will remain open until filled. The first review date will be April 7.
Persons of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. Livable City is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity, place of birth, age, religion, disability, gender identity, or sexual orientation.